[haiku-appserver] Re: private development

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:11:17 +0100 CET

> About the graphics acceleration in Painter:
> I know there are 2 ways to accelerate drawing:
> 1. Accelerate some basic drawing methods (StrokeLine, StrokeRect,
> FillRect, etc.).
> 2. Draw (without acceleration) to an offscreen bitmap and then use an
> accelerated blit to copy the content of the bitmap to the screen.

For now, "2" is the one that will be used in the Painter version of
DisplayDriver. The accelerated functions can only be used for special
cases anyways. For example, most probably only for B_OP_COPY/OVER with
solid patterns. Later, these special cases can be caught in the Painter
implementation as well. The only problem is that the main Painter frame
buffer would have to be in the graphics cards memory, so that drawing
operations which got carried out accelerated, will also show up in the
Painter frame buffer, and not only on screen. So that might be a show
stopper problem.

Best regards,
-Stephan

P.S. I agree with your other points. :-)