[haiku-appserver] private development

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:43:06 +0100 CET

Hello gang,

with this mail, I want to encourage that we reduce the private
development in private build systems, and start using the Haiku
repository more. For me as a newbie to app_server development, it is
quite irritating. I would really like whatever test applications you
guys are using, to be checked into src/tests/servers/app/, I have put
the "painter" test there already. Up until now, I actually never
succeeded running the Haiku app_server, let alone running a test
BApplication that uses it. I'm just trying to say that it would
encourage digging into app_server development more, if there was
already a clean way to test it or to start writing own tests from. With
the recent achievements of Michael Lotz, I think there is the potential
of gaining some momentum, and maybe we can even show something at
BeGeistert. DarkWyrm has posted BeIDE project files at one time, but
when I build app_server this way, I didn't get very far, because the
executable was crashing right after launch. When I recently tried it
again, the build system seemed to be broken somehow, I didn't have time
to investigate more. Anyway, if you are interested in help, I would
suggest you make it as easy for people to get up to speed with the
current state of development as possible, and from my own experience
with "digging in", I would welcome it, if there would be test
applications in the Haiku tree. I mean, so that what gets build by the
jam system is actually the real thing, with everything it needs to run
for testing it. What do you think?