[haiku-appserver] Re: primitive drawing, bitmap issue

  • From: Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:11:41 +0300

Hello my friend,

DarkWyrm wrote:
>>   Don't you have until the scholl starts?
>
> Yup, which is in less than a month. This summer has sure been going
> fast. :(

        Hmmm... how do you Americans have your school model?
In Romania it goes like this:
school and high school (classes between 1-8 9-12):
        - 1 sept - 24 dec -> 3 weeks vacation.
        - 15 jan - XX apr -> 2-3 weeks vacation.
        - XX+14 apr - 15 june -> 2 and 1/2 months vacation

faculty:
        - 1 oct - 24dec -> 2 weeks vacation.
        - 4-5 feb - 2X feb -> one week vacation.
        - 2X feb - 30(max) june -> 3 months vacation.

>>   He he, you know I want that too. Unfortunately we won't be able to
>>take
>>   advantages of 3D hardware until
>>   we have support from the drivers - and read here: made by NVidia &
>>ATi.
>>   Rudolf may be able to provide us with *some* 3D futures,
>>   but they will be few. Until we don't have support from at least
>>one of the
>>   2 manufaturers for advanced features we have
>>   to cope with what we have. So, what do we have? We have 2D
>>acceleration
>>   (blitting), acess to video memory and the ability to use it, and
>>AGP
>>   FastWrites support. If you ask me, that is enough for double
>>buffering.
>>   Later, when new 3D functions are implemented in drivers we can
>>start to
>>   use OpenGL, AND, this would be easy because we *already* would
>>have
>>   experience and a great deal of written code.
>
> One of the things I want to change for R2 is the video driver model
> itself, if for no other reason than to expand the number of hook
> functions that we can use.

        Of course. Otherwise we could not allocate(and manage) videoMem. We
also need 32-bit HW mouse, and others that I cannot think of now. We
should talk to Rudolf in this area.

BTW, we should invite Rudolf on this list. Should I point him this list
or you could add him?
Then again, I have 3 email addresses of him... I think we should invite
him. I'll do that now.