[haiku-appserver] Re: plan (LONG)

  • From: "DarkWyrm" <bpmagic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:58:01 -0500 EST

Guys,

It really bothers me to see you snapping at each other like this. Right
now, I honestly can't really tell what state the server is in because
the updates are coming so quickly. This is a *great* problem to have.
Let's not forget that we are a team with a common goal.

In the years (has it really been that long?) that I've been working on
the server, I've personally been where Adi is and where Stephen is when
it comes to working on some feature or some bugfixes. I know it's hard
waiting for someone to do something that you're depending on, either
directly or indirectly. I *really* know how hard it is to have
something you're working on and simply not have the ability to work on
it for one reason or another and have someone else want to do it for
you.

The screen update code was something I was working on (and struggling
with) and Adi asked to give it a shot. After a while, lo and behold, it
worked *correctly* and better than I had ever gotten it. Then again, I
also remember being reluctant to have Adi work on the server in the
first place (it had been pretty much just me up to that point), but I
don't know how I could have gotten along without him and his efforts.

We need to work together, guys, not step on each others' toes and get
in each other's way. There's still a lot of work to be done.
Unfortunately, a lot of the work that needs done depends on common code
(i.e. ServerWindow, etc). What this is going to need is a lot more e-
mails flying around than usual -- better communication on the team.

I can't make you guys do anything, but I have some suggestions on what
we should do:

1) If you've been working on something and finish it, figure out what
you want to do next and post to the list about it. This is especially
true if you're going to make widespread changes to the code. It might
seem kind of silly to say "I'm going to start adding support for
OpenType layout tables. FYI" or something, but it helps prevent these
kinds of problems.

2) Be careful what you say and how you say it. Please remember that
because we are not all actually talking face-to-face, what we mean
might not mesh exactly with the words that we place in an e-mail.
Smilies help, but they don't fix everything. If you're really not sure
about how something will come across, come back to the e-mail a little
later and re-read it before hitting 'Send'. You might come across
something that make you think 'I wrote this??'. I'm just as guilty of
this as anyone else, so just a reminder. :^)

BeGeistert has been getting a lot of attention on the project in
general this time around. The main reasons are that mphipps is going
and also a number of people have wanted to have something significant
to demo on the app_server. The kernel has made leaps and bounds thanks
to Axel, Ingo, and others. Michael's work on getting the server up and
running has been just what people outside the project needed as a
reminder that we aren't just all talk and no action. I still can't
believe that we have a working (if somewhat buggy) bash prompt running
under the GUI.

I would appreciate it very much if perhaps Adi and Stephen could work
together on the update code if at all possible. It would be a good
thing if more than one person understood how it works. Adi's definitely
the authority on that particular part of the code -- I *still* have to
get around to figuring it out, myself. :P As always, if you guys need
anything (unlikely as that may be) I'm still around. :D

--DW