[haiku-appserver] Re: overlay in CMAP8 - change needed

  • From: "Rudolf" <drivers.be-hold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 08:37:57 +0200 CEST

Morning Stephan :)

Thanks for your response. What I did is search backward for the index,
if I search forward then I get the other one for the overlay color send
to the driver (naturally).
Searching backward makes overlay work on R5/dano/zeta (I think I
remember), while searching forward does not.

So, yes, if index 255 is the magic color, then I think you are correct,
I need that one.

About it being there twice: you misread me. The _color_ is there twice.
OF course, the index is not: there can be only _one_ color per index.
Vice versa this does not apply per se. Hence my trouble.

So, also please note that overlay engines don't take _both_ the index
and color: they take index only (VIA, Intel), or color only (RGB
3x8bit: Neomagic (well, 3x6bit here), matrox, nvidia.

Since the index is _not_ sent to the driver, it needs to look it up
from the color given. A driver doesn't care at which index this color
resides. Since you confirm the app_server and bitmaps will _always_ use
index 255 for that magic color, and that same magic color (OK, index,
showing that color) is also sent to an app as being the fill color for
a window that should show overlay. The overlay engine should be sent
this color (read from the index) as well then.
And, I can remove the backward reverse searching from the VIA driver
and just replace it with a fixed number : 255.

You agree?

Bye!

Rudolf.