[haiku-appserver] Re: [openbeos] Re: Launching the input_server from the app_server...

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 05:37:18 -0500

On 12/23/06, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There is no dependency - it's just that the first application that is
started that needs a desktop will create it. And only then you actually
need an input_server - if there is no desktop, you cannot input
anything either.

Yeah I sort of realized that after sending this message. Should will
still put a "waitfor _input_server_event_loop_" in the Bootscript
after starting the syslog_daemon like in R5?

That's a bit strange: the input port, and the cursor semaphore are both
owned by the input_server - if that server is gone, both objects will
be deleted automatically, and both threads in the app_server will
notice that.

I'll play with it more tomorrow.

It is funny, I've learned a lot about the shutdown process trying to
properly shutdown the input_server (or in the final solution not shut
it down, haha) and now I'm learning a lot about the start-up process
by trying to get the input_server starting properly. There is a
certain elegant symmetry about it all :)

All I know is after the shutdown and start-up fixes, other things
(besides maybe the kernel) should be a piece of cake. Because testing
start-up and shutdown is a pain. Thank goodness for virtual machine
software, even if QEMU is super slow.

But for now I'm off to bed.

Ryan