[haiku-appserver] Re: getting a clone of the current Accelerant

  • From: Gabe Yoder <gyoder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 19:41:30 -0500

On Thursday 01 December 2005 19:16, Stephan Aßmus wrote:
> On 2005-12-02 at 00:32:39 [+0100], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > The plan was to implement this in a way to use it there too. I think
> > > we
> > > would need only a "ClonedAccelerantHWInterface" and a BDirectWindow
> > > that
> > > handles some additional stuff.
> >
> > Sounds good :-)
>
> I hope it's doable. But since the ATI driver works with BWindowScreen, I
> suppose it's accelerant is clonable in general. I just need to narrow down
> that crash in "harness" and go from there. Since I worked out scrolling

The harness makes it very easy to "freeze" your app_server.  The issue deals
with acquiring the engine and not releasing it (I forget the exact
terminology since it has been so long since I've looked at the stuff).  The
harness has a command that acquires the engine. Whenever the app has the
engine, the app_server cannot draw since it can't acquire the engine for
itself.  Apparently this somehow also interferes with the app_server
processing input, so trying to tell the harness to release the engine doesn't
work.  Anyway, if you put together some code that acquires the engine, uses
it, and then releases it without requiring user input in the middle, you
should be able to use that sort of code just fine without freezing the
app_server.