[haiku-appserver] Re: getting a clone of the current Accelerant

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 12:18:18 +0100

Hi,

> I'm actually not sure if you need to clone it at all. At least with the
> ATI driver you can just use the accelerant twice. If you
> compile and run the SlimDemo (./graphics/SlimDemo) you should get a
> black and white screen but the app_server will still be running and
> switching to a workspace with a different resolution (or the
> ctrl-shift-option-command-whatever f12 thing) will bring your desktop
> back.
> If it's not possible to use the accelerant directly, you should be able
> to build something from the SlimDemo.
> I don't remember how exactly, but I had the first accelerated Haiku
> window right under R5 with the app_server still running. It either used
> SlimDemo as basis or the AccelerantHWInterface directly.

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll get to work then. I think it will be much
easier to optimize Painter once it runs exactly like it would under Haiku.
Only without rebooting.

One thing that I'm still wondering about... now that I would use
BDirectWindow under R5 myself, directly banging the HW but still honoring
the clipping - how is this supposed to work with the asynchronous nature of
client server communication? Is the app_server supposed to wait for an
acknowledgement from all currently showing BDirectWindows before enforcing
a new clipping state for _all_ windows? As long as clients have the
app_server draw, this is no problem, but when they directly access the
framebuffer themselves? How is the clipping synchronized? Any insights?

Best regards,
-Stephan