[haiku-appserver] fonts & rendering state

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Haiku app_server" <haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:37:03 +0200 CEST

Hi there,

I am starting to find my way into the app_server again, and relieved
the crashing bug #1 quite a bit - I might still have missed some
incorrect uses of the FreeType library, though.

FreeType only has one glyph slot per FT_Face - and we used it
everywhere without any locking whatsoever. I've introduced a per
FT_Face lock, but it's not quite nice.
A possible solution to this problem would be to copy the FT_Face for
every drawing context using it - but since FreeType was obviously not
written for a multi-threaded use (it has a very dumb and basic API, and
I really wonder who came up with this stupid indenting style as
well...), we would need to create new FT_Faces from the font file or
some cached font data (which would take lots of memory). Due to those
problems, that doesn't look exactly like a good solution to me.

What I would prefer is to move the FreeType usage one layer deeper: we
could move all of FreeType below our font class - if anyone needs
anything from FT, it would go through that class which can handle the
locking properly. That would make sure we really catched all uses of FT
functions. Another advantage however, would be that we can cache the
size and glyph data (possibly in rastered bitmaps?). We would then need
one font per font size used.

I am not yet sure how we can integrate this into AGG, as I still have
almost no clue about this library. Would it be possible to have the pre
-rendered glyph bitmaps around, or should we better cache the glyph
data itself? What makes more sense regarding speed?

Also, the rendering context of the painter, and the one that is used by
AGG is set manually for *each* drawing operation. I don't think this is
how it should be done, as we could make better use of the DrawData
object than we do right now. But that also depends on how AGG works:
would it be feasible to have a per view drawing context for AGG that is
encapsulated by a DrawData derivate?
IOW could we have a DrawData subclass that also manages the AGG
context? That way, it could directly be used in the painter methods,
and wouldn't have to be set each time.
Are there any plans floating around about this already?

BTW the app_server is much more stable now, but still crashes very
often. Unfortunately, the best way to let it crash is by winning
Minesweeper - which I can only do natively :-/