[haiku-appserver] Re: drawing thread

  • From: "Rudolf" <drivers.be-hold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:50:40 +0200 CEST

Hi,

a small update on that 'other' doublebuffering:

> Only good solution: double buffering entire screen and blit to
> offscreen memory only, then switch offscreen onscreen during retrace,
> then blit now onscreen memory to now offscreen buffer. Repeat when
> needed. 8-)
I would say make it triple buffering so things keep transparant to
existing apps and BDirectWindow for example.
1. have a normal screen, that's never shown. Here everything is drawn
into, so also by apps.
2. have the pageflipping doublebuffering in place, that gets its
content from 1.

Maybe I'll try to tweak the NV driver (outside CVS) at some point to
see if I can manage to set this up as a proof of concept: I think, with
some limitations, it might be possible. I should probably just try.

->I think it would be nice if such a feature, if ever implemented,
should preferably also be an option. Just ask driver if it can do this,
and if not, fallback to single buffering as it is now. (Depends on
graphicsRAM available, and engine capabilities for virtual height)