[haiku-appserver] Re: drawing thread

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 12:33:34 +0200 CEST

Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>       What we can do is, stop the vertical retrace while the engine blits
> that window(or we copy from mainMem) to the new position, then
> restart
> the vertical retrace process. BUT, will we be able to see something
> on
> screen while the vertical retrace is stopped? (Screen won't go
> black?).
> Please don't laugh because I don't know how a graphic card shows
> pixel
> on screen/monitor.
>       IS this possible? Please explain how can we do the blit between
> retraces. Thanks.

The memory is the source of the image created either on the graphics
card (for analog monitors) or on the TFT display. For the latter, it
might be technically possible to do such thing, but I doubt it would be
possible to use this via software.
When the analog monitor doesn't get a signal anymore, it's like
temporarily plugging out the cable. You are always only the second user
of the graphics card memory.