[haiku-appserver] Re: drawing thread

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:22:23 +0200 CEST

Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Locking, semaphores. Only one thread draws in the graphicsRAM at a
> > time.
>       OK. Perfect! That would be Poller Thread if DW agrees.

Not really, there can still be any number of threads - they just have
to be serialized when accessing the same buffer.

Anyway, you could also use double buffering by only having one copy of
the whole screen around in main memory - I don't know if it makes more
sense to have different bitmaps for every layer, because that would
make transparent stuff a lot harder to do.

When you have a setup like this, all threads could even simultaneously
access the main memory, since they will all only access their clipping
region (with potential speed restrictions as well, just like video
memory, but less drastic). Only if there are more than one thread
accessing the same region (which can only happen because of
transparency), they would have to be serialized.
Of course, having more than one thread drawing off-screen would be
great for systems with more than one CPU.