[haiku-appserver] Re: communication

  • From: Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:16:01 +0300

Axel Dörfler wrote:
> [checksum]
>>      If I send a pachet with a good checksum and malformed data
>>they we're sure for a server crash.
>
> Those messages would be accepted by the app=5Fserver, yes, but that's not
> a problem, as only malicious code would do that :-)

        Aren't you targeting malicious code with the checksum field?

> Also, the app=5Fserver should *never* crash, no matter what kind of junk
> is in such a message. It's really not hard to achieve this, and it's a
> necessity as well.

        I agree. But checking every parameter for validity would impose a huge
performance penalty.

>>>But the one evaluating
>>>mouse messages shouldn't do any window moving anyway.
>>
>>      But they do. Mouse messages arrive in a RootLayer's port which is
>>responsible for moving windows also.
>
> I know that they do now, it's just wrong to do so. Moving a window (ie.
> update it on screen) can take a long time, and there is no way to stop
> all other message processing during that time.

        RootLayer will have a big message queue. I was thinking around 500 or
more, so I think we won't be having a port full problem especially
because this will be a high priority thread.

bye,
Adi.