[haiku-appserver] bitmap memory misconception

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Haiku app_server" <haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 01:20:46 +0100 CET

Hi there,

while working on resolving bug #313, I got aware of a pretty big
oversight in the app_server: the memory allocated for bitmaps is put
into client writable bitmaps. That alone is definitely not a problem.
The problems comes in with how the memory of those bitmaps is
maintained: the allocator actually puts its working structures into
that memory. If a client now accidently clobbers this memory, the
app_server will crash.
I just wanted to give you a hint about what I'll work on next :-)