[haiku-appserver] Re: Transparent bitmap dragging

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 19:42:53 +0200 CEST

Andr=E9 Braga wrote on Thu, 19 May 2005 13:04:05 -0300:

> > 2.) No HW acceleration is available during the dragging, but is
> > unlikely to be needed. (That's unless you implement auto-scrolling
> > in
> > your applications drop target.)
>
> I for one happen to rely on this behaviour all the time... =3D3DP
>
> It was never really fast, though. Maybe the blending could be
> calculated offscreen with SIMD extensions (and plain C++ fallback if
> none are present), and then the resulting bitmap would be blitted to
> the screen; hopefully that's not THAT sluggish (except on my Pentium
> 133).

We don't run out of options so quickly. As was mentioned, we could
extend the Accelerant interface a little. To me, it looks as if this
could be done in a totally backwards compatible way. Of course it means
more work for the driver writers.

To me it looks as if R5 removes the bitmap from screen (restores the
screen), lets the app draw, then blends the bitmap back onto the
result. This behaviour is necessary if you don't keep the bitmap and
rendering buffer separated. In my double buffered approach, this is
exactly what would happen. The rendering buffer and the bitmap stay
separated. They are merged in the front buffer, but that is not the
rendering buffer. So one step is saved, namely the one where you have
to restore the rendering buffer before the app draws anything. The
blending is also not done in the frame buffer but during the transfer,
and should therefor be =5Fa lot=5F faster. (There is the additional step of
transfering the result though.) If you don't scroll a very large
portion of the screen, these adventages could mean that the double
buffered approach is overall faster compared to doing it all in a
single buffer, even with the advantage of HW accelerated scrolling that
this has.