[haiku-appserver] Re: TextLayoutEngine

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:50:46 +0100

Hi,

> The basic idea sounds very good, although I am not sure why that method
> should be called LayoutGlyphs() (oh, naming again).

Maybe TextLayoutEngine should be GlyphLayoutEngine... :-)

For real, the thing it is supposed to do is to be a single algorithm for
layouting glyphs. Also implementing the different modes like
B_CHAR_SPACING, B_STRING_SPACING, B_BITMAP_SPACING and whatnot.

[proposed change in locking]

I also thought if it might be smarter to have the locking at the caching
level. However, to readlock for each single glyph sounds too expensive
IMHO. Or did I get you wrong?

> That's more or less what I would have done, at least.

Oh, it was on your TODO as well? :-)