[haiku-appserver] Shared Memory Allocation

  • From: "DarkWyrm" <bpmagic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 08:33:49 -0400 EDT

Hi, guys! I have a question for you about something which up to this
point hasn't really been an issue - how to send large objects from the
client to the server. There is a fixed limit to the amount of data that
can be sent over a port, and some of the classes we need to work with,
like BShape and BRegion, have the possibility, however remote, that
they would not fit.

I just changed our pool allocator from a bunch of C code (and ugly at
that) to a class so we can have multiple pool managers in the same
application without conflicts. We are going the same route as R5 and
setting up a general application area. We will eventually be moving
BBitmap storage to this shared area to prevent a bad app from
overwriting BBitmap data in another app, but one question still
remains: how should we send over a large object? Should we create a new
area, dump it there, and tell the server to look there, or should the
client ask the app_server for a memory chunk to write to, write to it,
and then send the message? I'm kinda concerned about overhead and I
wondered what the rest of you gentlemen thought.

--DW