[haiku-appserver] Re: Refactoring

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:51:23 +0200 CEST

Stefano Ceccherini <burton666@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> They may have different resolution/color space.
> >     This is a problem. More talk is needed. Why shouldn't all screens
> > have
> >the same resolution/colorspace?
> Well, because this is a really bad limitation. You could have a 21"
> and a 15"
> displays, I don't think you want to keep them at the same resolution.
> Windows
> is much flexible in this case, and btw, having different resolutions
> between
> Workspaces, even, not just between screens, it's a requirement, as
> beos
> does this.

There is also the problem of hardware limitation. My TV screen only can
do 800x600, or my second TFT panel can just do 1280x1024 - but both
certainly shouldn't render my (imaginary) 1600x1200 pixel main TFT
useless.
Multi-head support with restrictions like these doesn't make a lot of
sense. The current "combine mode" stuff of the Radeon and Matrox
drivers would be enough for this.

Also, the graphics adapter may support hardware acceleration on the
second head differently or not at all, etc.

Bye,
   Axel.