[haiku-appserver] Re: Refactoring

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:50:16 +0200

Hi,

first, let me say that I really like what Axel is proposing in every single
detail. I have thought along the same lines.

I try to keep this email short. Please re-read what Axel wrote about
ServerScreen and then go look at the actual code. It is currently much more
straight forward to think of ServerScreen as a representation of a
physically attached screen. So a ServerScreen manages a graphics driver (or
later possibly one output of a graphics card). In this setup, it is clear
how to configure a physical screen. For example, when a Workspace becomes
active, it is clear that it uses the ServerScreen instance to change
resolution, color space etc. I know that some of you had something different
in mind at first, but again, just look at the code, it is just obvious where
it goes from there. Maybe we can rename it to PhysicalScreen if that makes
everybody more happy.

Second, I really love the idea to think of a Workspace as a container for a
certain configuration of the physical screen(s). When multiple independant
physical screens are supported, one Workspace will represent a certain
setting of _all_ the screens. Before you disagree... this is pretty much
exactly the way workspaces work now on R5. For example, you might have all
workspaces configured the same - save one, which is configured to have the
video overlay on the external output of your laptop and has the resolution
that fits your beamer. When you make a presentation or want to watch a
video, you simply switch to that workspace and everything is setup. What
Axel has proposed will allow for exactly this elegant way of using
workspaces. Just extended to multiple screens.

Third... DarkWyrm and Adi keep mentioning that the code has to be the way it
is, and that it being complicated is because of the complexity of the
app_server. Sorry, but I have to disagree. The app_server really has _no_
reason of being so hard to understand as it currently is for a new
developper joinging the team. And this really hurts development. Everyone
having come to the team had this first impression. The code containing so
many errors is just proof of it. Please, I don't mean to hurt anyones
feelings. I would not want anyone to have a look at the WonderBrush code
right now. I know how hard it is to be brave and refactor almost your entire
code base. I understand this is code that has grown.
So I would say, please, have some trust in Axel, let him do his magic, it
can only help. The problem is that many of the central classes _don't_
currently have clear responsibilities, and that makes the code flow very
hard to follow. Refactoring the classes to make the code flow more clear
will help app_server a great deal, I'm sure of that. And the
responsibilities for the classes that Axel has layed out, really make a lot
of sense to me. Encapsulation and forcing certain code paths can really do
wonders for the robustness and correctness of the app_server, and that is
one thing that it is still lacking in many places.

P.S. I have started work on drawing into bitmaps a couple days ago, but I
had to work over the weekend. I hope to have something ready by the end of
the week though.