[haiku-appserver] Re: Overlay support

  • From: "Rudolf" <drivers.be-hold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:51:22 +0200 CEST

Axel,

> Yeah, now that the app_server is done and stable ;-P
Cool :)

> Well, I still don't see the purpose, though. All that matters are
> overlay channels - and those you get by calling B_ALLOCATE_OVERLAY.
> This one should just fail if there aren't any more channels to give
> away.
Well, it's the same mechanism as with acc engines! There is also a hook
for this, or am i mistaken?

> > BTW: please remember to ask for the hooks after every new mode
> > set...
> > (just like as it is with acceleration hooks)
>
> I don't think this make any sense. The overlay buffers are created
> when
> the bitmap is created - they will stay there no matter what display
> mode is currently shown.
No, they will be deleted, and recreated after the modeswitch: courtesy
of app_server. The applications gets informed about modeswitches via
special messages sent by the app_server (try to locate them, they
exist!)
Although no mediaplayer ever yet actually implemented this, and this is
(also) the reason Be's mediaplayer tends to crash on modeswitches
(sometimes).

> They will also keep there overlay channel as long as they want. The
> only hook that would make sense to ask again for is
> B_CONFIGURE_OVERLAY
> and B_GET_OVERLAY_CONSTRAINTS. The other hooks just must stay the
> same

The overlay channel is also released and -re-aquired on modeswithces.
IT really must be done, since the memory map inside the drivers can
change drastically because of modeswitches: buffers will almost
certainly NOT be recreated at the same locations.