[haiku-appserver] Re: Overlay support

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:39:56 +0200 CEST

jonathanthompson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The earlier discussions of a time value being used and causing things
> fail just strikes me as sick and wrong, if things aren't available.

Rudolf just described what's there right now in R5.
If an application doesn't adhere to a certain (and in the future, well
documented) protocol, I certainly don't have a problem with letting it
crash. It deserves no better :-)

It's like the direct connected timeout: if an app needs more than (on
R5) 3 seconds to acknowledge a change, it will get killed. The
app_server can't do a lot before that point, it just have to wait until
the shared resource become available for it again.
And with high performance video stuff like overlays and direct windows,
a response timeout from 3 seconds or even 1 second doesn't sound like
too little to me. Such timeouts can easily be met within an application
so I don't see much value in having that additional user interaction.
These kind of errors should be fixed during application development.