[haiku-appserver] Re: Overlay support

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:18:08 +0200 CEST

"Rudolf" <drivers.be-hold@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, about that engine count hook for overlay:
>
> It must be that this should be used by app_Server  to find out if a
> new
> mode will support overlay or not: so it can inform the app using
> overlay?

Sure, it could be used for that, but B_ALLOCATE_OVERLAY will also just
fail when they ran out of options :-)

> I can imagine I should check the mode, and (VIA example) return zero
> if
> the driver can't do it because of RAM constraints? (size, speed)
> Just a thought.
> Note that this hook is never called yet though.

I'll still need to revise the way B_BITMAP_RESERVE_OVERLAY_CHANNEL is
handled in the app_server, so I might even end up using that call for
that - dunno yet, though. If I can get around it, I will (to keep the
driver interface as clean and small as possible).

Bye,
   Axel.