[haiku-appserver] Re: Overlay support

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:43:04 +0200 CEST

Hi Rudolf,

"Rudolf" <drivers.be-hold@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hope this list still works (it's quiet here?)

Yeah, now that the app_server is done and stable ;-P

> Axel, if you need info about overlay, I think I might be of service.
>
> For instance, the B_OVERLAY_COUNT hook _does_ serve a purpose, though
> its not used on R5/dano:
> The driver is required to report the _number_ of overlay units the
> hardware has. If I have two, i'll report two. This means two apps can
> use overlay simultaneously, and two output windows using overlay will
> be created which are totally independant from each other.

Well, I still don't see the purpose, though. All that matters are
overlay channels - and those you get by calling B_ALLOCATE_OVERLAY.
This one should just fail if there aren't any more channels to give
away.

> BTW: please remember to ask for the hooks after every new mode set...
> (just like as it is with acceleration hooks)

I don't think this make any sense. The overlay buffers are created when
the bitmap is created - they will stay there no matter what display
mode is currently shown.
They will also keep there overlay channel as long as they want. The
only hook that would make sense to ask again for is B_CONFIGURE_OVERLAY
and B_GET_OVERLAY_CONSTRAINTS. The other hooks just must stay the same
and also can't go away.