[haiku-appserver] Re: Going "back" to partially hardware accelerated drawing

  • From: "Rudolf" <drivers.be-hold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:57:31 +0200 CEST

BTW:

> > I will have to think about this, but this whole idea of scrolling
> > the
> > entire screen at 1920x1200 really scares the crap out of me, and I
> > really think we will have to do this in hardware.

Want to know how it would feel?
Just use VESA mode in the closest resolution to that you can get:
select 32bit (or 16 if you can't select 32 ;-)
Now open up BeIDE, resize text to screen: and start scrolling. I mean:
crawling. (in the meantime: anyone up for coffee? :-)

The only (and only) speedup you will have compared to VESA is the use
of MTRR-WC. And believe me: you will keep on crying!