[haiku-appserver] Re: Dual-display

  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:44:07 GMT

>       Yes. We even done better - we've thought about multiple input
> methods.
> For example, if you have 2 monitors, 2 keyboards and 2 mices you can
> have a second person working beside you on the same computer. ;-)

Splendid! No reason as to why one couldn't.  We'd need to lock the
workspace/display mapping, though.

> > What I'm thinking of in a multi-display setup like this:
> >
> > A Display is a set of monitors arranged physically in a MxN layout
> > without holes, where M, N >= 1.  Displays maps to workspaces 1:1.
> > One
> > can have >= 1 Displays connected to the computer. A workspace
> > cannot be
> > displayed at the same time on > 1 Display.
>
>       We call that: RootLayer. :-)

What exactly do you call a RootLayer? Display? Or something else?

>       Yes, this has been disscussed also on GE Talk:
> http://www.bug-br.org.br/pipermail/glasselevator-talk/2003-November/
> thread.html
>       "Multiple Monitors"

Even posted some to it, heh.  Thing is, at that point I don't think
there were anything nice discussed there. So, the scenario I proposed -
 is it what's going to be in app_server, or something else?  My setup
would give the user the most flexibility, I think.

>       You have long read, but in the and, as I remember, is has been
> decided
> we should give user more choices. (mapping workspaces to Screens,
> etc)

Mapping a Workspace to a RootLayer, if my assumption above is correct,
right?

> > Moreover, is there a design document of the app_server I can read
> > so I
> > don't have to send annoying messages to the list whenever I want to
> > know something, or am I forced to get an understanding of the
> > app_server sauce?
>
>       http://www.haiku-os.org/learn.php?mode=nsl_view&id=51#182

Oops. :) Thanks!

--