[haiku-appserver] Re: Dual-display

  • From: Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:26:27 +0300

Hi,

Mikael Jansson (mailing lists) wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Is multi-display something you've considered?

        Yes. We even done better - we've thought about multiple input methods.
For example, if you have 2 monitors, 2 keyboards and 2 mices you can
have a second person working beside you on the same computer. ;-)

        BTW, DW, ever since I began working on the new window management system
I wanted to say to you, we(think that was me :-D) have not chosen the
right place for input methods in Desktop class. They should be moved to
RootLayer for the same reason as above - multiple input methods -
multiple RootLayers.

> What I'm thinking of in a multi-display setup like this:
>
> A Display is a set of monitors arranged physically in a MxN layout
> without holes, where M, N >= 1.  Displays maps to workspaces 1:1.  One
> can have >= 1 Displays connected to the computer. A workspace cannot be
> displayed at the same time on > 1 Display.

        We call that: RootLayer. :-)

> Usage scenario:
> Three monitors available, M1, M2, M3.  M1 and M2 forms a wide monitor,
> called D1 (Display 1). M3 is D2.  I use D2 mainly on workspaces 1
> through 4, which is where I keep mail, web and IRC.  D1 is for
> development, where I need to see output, debugger, documentation and
> the actual code at the same time. I usually use it with workspaces 5
> through 8.  If I happen to activate workspaces 5 through 8 on D2 (low-
> res), I'll have a large virtual desktop I can use the mouse to pan in.
> On the other hand, if I use D1 on workspaces 1 through 4, only one of
> the monitors will be active (at least that's the naive solution.)
>
> Is this what you guys had in mind, as well?

        Yes, this has been disscussed also on GE Talk:
http://www.bug-br.org.br/pipermail/glasselevator-talk/2003-November/thread.html
        "Multiple Monitors"

        You have long read, but in the and, as I remember, is has been decided
we should give user more choices. (mapping workspaces to Screens, etc)

        http://www.haiku-os.org/learn.php?mode=nsl_view&id=51#182

> Thanks in advance,

        Anytime.