[haiku-appserver] Re: CPU-idle-loop and HALT instruction?

  • From: "Rudolf" <drivers.be-hold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:12:24 +0100 CET

Axel,

> Yes, that should work, it's in src/system/kernel/arch/x86/arch_cpu.c,
> line 455ff. :-)
OK, I'll try to find it tomorrow :)

> What's your exact system configuration, btw?
P3-500 x2, ASUS P2B-D board, various graphicscards, emu10k1 audio (no
driver loaded on haiku though), RTL8139 network (not checked yet), PS2
logitech mouse (tried two types, same result), logitech kb, noname kb,
(same results).
DVDROM, CD-writer HP 4 speed,, floppy, 512Mb ram. and firewire
(supported in beos)

> > BTW: Cool we have MTRR support! I'll try it asap :)
>
> I haven't added VIA support yet, due to lack of testing
> possibilities.
> You had commented out quite some things in the MTRR driver you did, I
> didn't want to take them over without further investigation :-)

Rest assured that what I did is correct. Don't even _think_ about re-
enabling those things, because the system will freeze immediately.
Unless you can get official docs of course, which _explicitly_ tell you
you can do it. All disabled things were tested one by one, as usual in
my stuff ;-)

Ah: I don't have to tell you how it is.. :)

BTW: VIA doesn't want to give out the info, you'll have to be _very_
friendly to them. besides, the stuff I _did_ implement is confirmed in
C3: you can find that at least in  some short-form spec.

> Maybe you could add (or temporarily remove) a check for VIA
> processors
> in src/add-ons/kernel/cpu/x86/intel.cpp, line 138-139 and see if it
> just works there?
Hmm, that would mean I first need to checkout SVN on the nimble I
guess, and see if I can get haiku to run on it natively. Well, I can
checkout svn, as I'll need that anyway to continue work on the VIA gfx
driver (which btw still misses in the build).

> Maybe I should just try to get their processor manual from somewhere,
> though :-)
Have fun. Your best bet is to get a 'leaked' version I fear. And I did
a quick search for it of course ;-)