[haiku-appserver] Re: Be's BView and BGLView (and BDirectWindow?) clipping info is faulty

  • From: Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:04:26 +0200

Stefano asked:
> You mentioned BGLView... I noticed we don't even have the header in our
> repository. Should we implement it as well ?

Well, I guess one day I'll have to import Mesa's BeOS driver under haiku SVN,
src/kits/opengl/...
But maintaining in two places is not fun :-(

> I seem to recall some
> discussions about GL stuff which involved breaking source and binary
> compatibility but I could be wrong, someone remember better than me ?

Hum, no ;-)

Mesa's BeOS port is source and binary compatible with Be's libGL.so, so I don't
seem why we could not be compatible from Haiku too ;-)

Maybe it was about being compatible with the Beta OpenGL Hardware accelerated
version? I can't see how we could be, as:
- it was never made public API (but it'd leaked...)
- it make no sense at all ;-)
- better to do our own new, public, open sourced API for Haiku/BeOS OpenGL
accelerant add-ons.

I've started to work on this last point, BTW.
Currently, on my laptop, I've a libGL.so which contains exporting BGLView class,
the gl and glu calls BUT not the renderer.
I'm working on porting the Mesa BeOS driver into an addon (accelerant/opengl/*
?) so the current Mesa-based software renderer will come as an addon.

- Philippe