[haiku-appserver] Re: Be's BView and BGLView (and BDirectWi

  • From: "Rudolf" <drivers.be-hold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:21:01 +0200 CEST

Hi,

> Hi Rudolf,
> >I can imagine the same
> >fault sitting in BDirectWindow BTW: did not check.
>
> I think BDirectWindow works fine, at least on beos r5. BTW, I
> uploaded a test app in /src/tests/kits/game/direct_window_info_test
which, started from a terminal, prints also the clipping info, you can
use it to check if it works fine under dano (which I don't have).

I was hoping BDirectWindow works fine: it's much more used I guess :)
Also, I guess it could make a difference if you're inside a class
'implementing'(?) it, or if you are outside of it using it?
I'm no expert in this kind of stuff as you can see via the question
marks..

> You mentioned BGLView... I noticed we don't even have the header in
> our repository. Should we implement it as well ? I seem to recall some
discussions about GL stuff which involved breaking source and binary
compatibility but I could be wrong, someone remember better than me ?

The header should be there I'd say. It's on R5 as well..
I don't know what discussions you are talking about BTW. My bad I
guess. Anyway: I don't know what road Haiku will take towards HW
openGL. I just know that BGLView (especially if fixed) is perfectly
usable as far as I'm concerned. And it's compatible with R5..

Although I did not yet look into things as switcing workspaces while an
app is running, setting a new more when an app is running. But maybe
someone else sees already how that should/could work.

Be went another way: something like BDirectGLView or something (dano).
It adds multimonitor support and fixes the probs BGLView has. At least,
this has been told to me by a betatester. Anyway: I think I already
proved now that BGLView in itself is perfectly usable for us for now.

> BTW, nice workarounds :)
Thank you :-)
It's nice (again) to get confirmation on a direction taken: as I am
still a bit uncertain in this new area for me. Although I generally am
able to detect if something is setup right for (graphics) hardware
support ;-)

Rudolf.