[haiku-appserver] Re: Backbuffer access

  • From: "DarkWyrm" <bpmagic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 08:25:40 -0400 EDT

> Okay.  I was just thinking (not really knowing how the app_server is
> layered) that just providing the developer with a shared area or so
> use. Main point, I guess, is that /if/ someone wants to provide for
> such a structure for the R1 app_server, it doesn't need to be
> completely rebuilt, just to hook it in in the approriate layer and
> you're set, basically.  But, like I said - I don't know the layers
> very
> well, so it's hard for me to tell.
It wouldn't be all that hard to hack the server, really. There are a
few methods I was kicking around but they all basically centered around
hooking into a certain part of the server to notify a VNC server of a
screen update which could then notify any clients attached. There are a
bunch of different ways that it could be done -- tweaking DisplayDriver
or playing around with the DispatchMessage functions in ServerApp and
ServerWindow are a couple I've toyed with. They could be used to do the
notifying of the VNC server which could then notify the client(s).
Handling input could be as simple as sending messages to the app_server
just like the input_server does, but have the messages come from the
VNC server. It could be quite lightweight compared to other VNC-type
applications in terms of CPU usage and bandwidth.

--DarkWyrm