[haiku-appserver] Re: Backbuffer access

  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 12:39:50 GMT

"DarkWyrm" <bpmagic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm sorry for not contributing much of anything, but I have a
> > question:
> > In what way are you providing for a framework so that remote
> > controlling through for example the VNC protocol can be made as
> > fast
> > as
> > painlessly as possible?  Today that involves doing a memcpy() from
> > the
> > pointer received from a BWindowScreen at a high rate, but this
> > scheme
> > could be vastly improved if the background buffer used for drawing
> > could be shared and apps could subscribe to update messages, or
> > through
> > other means.
>
> Right now, we're not really doing much of anything related directly
> VNC -- support structure is intended for R2, but how all that will
> specifically be played out has yet to be determined.

Okay.  I was just thinking (not really knowing how the app_server is
layered) that just providing the developer with a shared area or so to
use. Main point, I guess, is that /if/ someone wants to provide for
such a structure for the R1 app_server, it doesn't need to be
completely rebuilt, just to hook it in in the approriate layer and
you're set, basically.  But, like I said - I don't know the layers very
well, so it's hard for me to tell.

--
Mikael Jansson
http://mikael.jansson.be