[haiku-appserver] Re: Backbuffer access

  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:48:20 GMT

Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Mikael Jansson (mailing lists) wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm sorry for not contributing much of anything, but I have a
> > question:
> > In what way are you providing for a framework so that remote
> > controlling through for example the VNC protocol can be made as
> > fast as
> > painlessly as possible?  Today that involves doing a memcpy() from
> > the
> > pointer received from a BWindowScreen at a high rate, but this
> > scheme
> > could be vastly improved if the background buffer used for drawing
> > could be shared and apps could subscribe to update messages, or
> > through
> > other means.
>
>       Don't know... we'll think about that.

>       Regarding the backbuffer, it appears it can be avoided...

Okay, sure, as long as it'll be possible to get at the contents at the
same rate as they're being updated by the app_server. In Windows, the
VNC servers are very fast. What does Windows do that makes it that much
better for remote desktop-style apps? Maybe that could be a source of
inspiration.  I suppose looking at the sources for any Windows VNC
server would suffice.

--
Mikael Jansson
http://mikael.jansson.be