[haiku-appserver] Re: BWindowScreen results /app_server fault

  • From: "Rudolf" <drivers.be-hold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 16:10:51 +0200 CEST

Hi guys,

Well, I got another update. Just ran the latest build with Axel's
invalidate fix for overlay, and also tested WindowScreen again.

So, All in all it seems the app_server doesn't draw: I saw partially
updated Terminal window during running a BWindowScreen app before, but
now I don't see that at all. Also, no rubbish is visible after starting
BWindowScreen (was app server as well I think), instead the screen is
cleared.

My test app runs perfectly now, the gfxbusbench app runs perfectly as
well. Also the screen is nicely restored always at the end of
BWindowScreen use.
Still, page_flipper has a fault:
OK is:
-screen cleared (no rubbish) at start.
-Curled white lines are momentarily visible, so that works after all
-ball is displayed
-curled while lines background (presumably sitting in the part of gfx
mem where normally the app_Server draws(?)) are cleared to black. OR is
this the BWindowScreen implementation's doing?
-ball nicely rolls over the screen, on a black background instead of
those curled white lines,
-after app quit: desktop perfectly restored.

Well, there is a fault still therem in the app_server or the
BWindowScreen class: the screen drawn black isn't meant to be: maybe
it's issued "to late" or, multiple times,of which one is after the app
drawing into the 'workspace'. Hope one of you sees what's going wrong,
I don't know ATM.

--------

About overlay: (axel)
CPU load remains (About) the same, so this isn't the primary fault.
However, I _did_ notice this time around that the fact VLC is running
increases CPU load: and it looks like we have the diff (most of it)
sitting in _this_ fact: on dano CPU load isn't noticely increased when
VLC is idle (no media file loaded yet). On haiku you see the green
thing being drawn over and over (indicating where we are in a media
file), while on R5 it's not even visible.

So, it seems (unless I did not test good enough yet), that app_server
behaves a bit differently with this' widget' or what you call it (newby
here :), and on top of that, VLC running idly consumes too much CPU.

That's about it for now. Maybe I'll tweak a bit more with WindowScreen
to see if I can find an additional pointer to the deleting of the while
curly lines.. If I find anything I'll let you know.

Thanks for your time! (and sorry if I cause any inconveniance: that's
not my intention).

Bye!

Rudolf.