[haiku-appserver] Re: BScreen support

  • From: Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 17:08:06 +0300

Hi,

Stefano Ceccherini wrote:
> Hi Adi,
>

>>      All commands that affect the visible regions must be >executed from
>> RootLayer's
>>thread context. When rebuilding regions, again, that must be >done from
>>RootLayer's thread
>>context. The solution: redirect this message to RT thread >and add a handler
>>for it.
>>      Locking RootLayer is not a solution, that must be >kept to a minimum (2
>> such
>>situations ATM).
>

> Well, if performance is what matters to you, I don't think that locking
> RootLayer in a
  display_mode change can affect performance in any way. If there is another
reason,
  please elaborate more on this :)

        Yes, you are right. But if you don't respect this design we may have a
deadlock
situation later. Also, in multiple CPU systems one CPU can run RL's thread and
calculate
whatever needed while the ServerWindow thread could draw in an offscreen
surface (when
double buffering comes along) or respond with simple data to client requests
(bounds, origin,
etc).
        I don't want to lock RL's thread unless it's absolutely necessary.