[haiku-appserver] Re: BScreen support

  • From: Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 18:42:57 +0300

Ingo Weinhold wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2005, Adi Oanca wrote:
>
>>Stephan Assmus wrote:
>>

>>>Otherwise it is a ridiculous discussion. And before we
>>>even worry about performance at all, we need a correct implementation.
>>>Anything else is premature optimization.
>>
>>      Do not agree. At least in the context of our discussion. A good design
>>should be enforced from the start. If we did not had a SMP friendly design
>>final optimizations could not get as much performance of a SMP machine if we
>>did not take that into account.
>

> According to my experience it's not a good idea trying to start with a
> `perfect' design for large or even medium sized systems. Unless you have
> already implemented such a system before and now know all the issues and
> pitfalls, that's virtually impossible. It's almost garuanteed that you'll
> need to redesign and refactor parts.

        What you say is very true. My experience thought me exactly the same.
Is just that I'm tired of redesigned things after I know all the issues
and pitfalls, I'm trying to change that on me. I want to have all the
things thought out before I begin developing the
algorithm/implementation, I want to avoid the second, third design, that
costs time and sometimes money. I think that in a short time UML may
become one of my close friends.

> Hence starting with a reasonable
> design -- that doesn't even need to consider all features (as long as it
> is open enough not to rule them out) and should definitely not be
> optimized to `maybe be more performant in some situations' -- and refine
> and refactor it as you go is usually the better strategy.

        That sounds good also.

> Really, don't optimize until you know that optimization is needed and the
> one you have in mind really improves things. If you have two possible
> algorithms/designs choose the less complex one, unless you're sure the
> other one is better and needed and cannot be easily derived from the first
> one.

        OK, no optimizations. :-)

> And not only theoretically better -- e.g. an O(n^2) algorithm can be
> a better solution for a specific problem than one that is O(n).
>
> As Stephan says, ideally you first do a correct implementation and then
> check what needs to be optimized. This has the nice side-effect, that
> you'll earlier have something that works (especially in a context like
> this, where other people depend on what you do). Just ask Axel, how many
> parts of the kernel work, but are far from being optimal (or just good).
> :-)

        :-))

        OK, thanks for this mail.

bye,