[haiku-appserver] Re: BScreen support

  • From: Stefano Ceccherini <burton666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 5 May 2005 06:32:12 -0000

Hi,

>> - Every time the workspace changes (i. e. from workspace 1 to
>> workspace 2), the app_server checks if the display_mode of >the new
>workspace is the same of the mode of the new.

Er, obviously, I meant:
"the app_server checks if the display_mode of the NEW
workspace is the same of the mode of the OLD", but I think you got the point
anyway :)

>> I guess that's a simple and flexible way to do it.

>I agree. And I would like to add that I wanted to pull the
>"HWInterface" instance out of DisplayDriver and remove the >display mode
>and cursor related functions (which it forwards to its >HWInterface
>instance) from the DisplayDriver API.

Yeah, I'd like that too. In fact currently HWInterface is already more suited
to handle BScreen or BCursors requests than DisplayDriver is, and I was going
to ask you exactly what you just said.

Which ever part of the code needs the functionality in DisplayDriver to
control modes and move the cursor, is the one that will have a
HWInterface instance directly. It will have to make sure that the
DisplayDriver gets attached to it.

Best regards,
-Stephan

> Before we worry about saving >performance by
>trying to make locking unnecessary, we need to worry about >the
>algorithm first. Otherwise it is a ridiculous discussion. And >before we
>even worry about performance at all, we need a correct >implementation.
>Anything else is premature optimization.

I agree 100%.

In any case, talking about BScreen::SetMode(), I'm going to add the 2 lines
needed to lock/unlock the rootlayer (already tested, works fine).
That needs to change anyway, and for now it will do.

Stefano Ceccherini aka Jack Burton
Scegli il tuo dominio preferito e attiva la tua email! Da oggi
l'eMail di superEva e' ancora piu' veloce e ricca di funzioni!
http://webmail.supereva.it/new/