[haiku-appserver] Re: BScreen support

  • From: Stefano Ceccherini <burton666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 4 May 2005 16:49:57 -0000

>Separating tasks for/in threads makes it easier for the code >to be maintained
>and
>enforces the concept of multi-threading, BeOS is very proud >of. >:-)

Yes, but the problem in this case is that RootLayer ends up to be the class
doing everything, which has to know about every other class, and that's much
more a problem for maintainance.

Anyway, the idea I had for adding mode support for workspace was something like
this:

- Every workspace keeps a local display_mode variable.
- There are setter-getter methods for it.
- When a mode GET is issued from client side, the app server
just gets that variable from the right workspace.
- When a mode SET is issues from client side, the app server sets that variable
(eventually checking if it's a supported mode), and, if the workspace is the
active one, it sets the display_mode of the... display, too.
- Every time the workspace changes (i. e. from workspace 1 to workspace 2), the
app_server checks if the display_mode of the new workspace is the same of the
mode of the new. If it's not, it sets the display_mode of the screen too.

I guess that's a simple and flexible way to do it.
THOUGH: Currently, as RootLayer is the one which does everything, RootLayer
will need to know about DisplayDriver as well (to set the mode), and we end up
in the above discussion. :)

Stefano Ceccherini aka Jack Burton
Scegli il tuo dominio preferito e attiva la tua email! Da oggi
l'eMail di superEva e' ancora piu' veloce e ricca di funzioni!
http://webmail.supereva.it/new/