[haiku-appserver] App Activation

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku App Server List <haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:39:48 +0200

Howdy,

the application roster has the notion of the active application, which
simply is the app that owns the currently active window. Since the
registrar knows nothing about windows, it needs some help from the app
server. I think what is required is the following:

1) The app server needs to receive and process app activations requests (as
issued by BRoster::ActivateApp()).

2) The app server needs to notify the registrar when the active app changed.

The second part should be relatively easy. If the app server is started by
the Bootscript after the registrar (which should be no problem anymore), it
will have a fully working BRoster and can simply send a message to the
registrar (BRoster::Private::SendTo()).

Regarding the first part, BRoster::ActivateApp() could send the request
directly to the app server. Since there might not exist a BApplication when
the method is invoked, sending it to the port that receives the
BApplication registration (the one called SERVER_PORT_NAME) might be the
most sensible choice. But I guess you guys know best...

CU, Ingo