[haiku-appserver] Re: 2d HW acceleration - what's the status?

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 20:35:16 +0200

Bryan Varner wrote (2007-07-31, 20:13:27 [+0200]):
> The last day or so I've been looking at some vmware gfx driver & app_server
> related stuff. Aside from the innate problems the vmware driver has, I have
> a few questions that are app_server specific that I'm hoping someone
> knowledgeable can answer.
>
> To what extent are we using 2D HW acceleration?

We are using fill-rect, invert-rect and rect-to-rect-screen-blit. See the
accelerant interface for details on those.

> Am I correct in assuming that because everything is double buffered, that
> the Painter never actually writes directly to the HW frame buffer?

No, you are misinformed. Double buffering is only used for colorspaces other
than 32 bits. If you can somehow run in 32 bits, then hardware acceleration
is used and double buffering is _not_ used.

> Is there any form of documentation on how app_server interacts with
> accelerants?

see src/servers/app/drawing/AccelerantHWInterface.cpp and
src/servers/app/drawing/DrawingEngine.cpp (FillRect, FillRegion, CopyRegion,
InvertRect) with regard to how the sync token is used.