[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: Where to put users data files?

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 20:30:50 +0200

On 2010-09-09 at 17:20:42 [+0200], scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Currently B_USER_DATA_DIRECTORY points to:
> /boot/home/config/data
> Is this where we should be storing data files that are being created
> by a user using a generic application, such as a paint program or a
> spreadsheet or a word processor?  Or is that for configuration data?
> Or would it be B_USER_DIRECTORY/something ?

IMO when the user is asked to enter a file name for a document (via a
graphical file panel or via text prompt in the terminal), the default
target directory should be the home directory. ~/config/data has the "out
of the way" feel to me, i.e. it would be the place for data that needs to
be stored somewhere, but out of the user's immediate sight. Immutable data
of command line programs comes to mind -- though the programs with unixy
origin normally use some etc/, var/, or share/ directory. I guess it could
also be the place for automatically saved mutable data, though there
probably isn't that much besides settings and cached data (for which
dedicated directories exist).

Anyway, just my opinion. Certainly wouldn't harm to discuss and document
the directory layout.

CU, Ingo