[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: What I am trying to do. Crazy idea explained?

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 09:38:44 +0200

On 28.07.2014 09:28, Stephan Aßmus wrote:
Am 28.07.2014 09:08, schrieb Ingo Weinhold:
You might want to have a look at Haiku's RAM disk implementation [1]
(not included in the default images). I wrote it mainly because BFS is
awfully slow when working with large source trees (extracting and
removing them). The driver uses private kernel API to directly access
physical memory and to avoid unnecessary copying.

So how big can a RAM disk be with this driver in 32-Bit Haiku?

I set a naive sanity limit for the disk size to 2/3 of the total physical RAM. IIRC the maximum size I've tested was 8 GiB.

CU, Ingo