[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: New Developer

  • From: Dennis Catt <dcatt.haiku@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 20:22:03 -0500

Johnpaul Humphrey wrote:

I am a hobby coder with ~3 years ruby experience and ~2 years C experience I recently read "Learning to Program with Haiku" and am interested in programming for it.

What applications need developing?
I am interested in learning to program in any of the following categories:
    - Web Browser
    - Productivity
    - 3d Modelers.
    - or anything else useful.

John,

Welcome! It's great that you discovered Haiku and have decided to give a much deeper look. Haiku can always use new apps and I can say that the Haiku user community is clamoring for native apps. Since you mentioned Ruby (one of my favorite scripting languages), there is a project on GitHub for Ruby bindings to the Haiku API that might interest you: https://github.com/nmbits/rbe

I think various Haiku app developers are working on simple but useful apps solving simple but important problems as well as some that are working on more complex ones. Between the various open source app projects targeting Haiku as well as some sample code lying around, you should be able to get your feet wet.

Regards,

DCatt