[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: Intel_extreme video VGA output problems

  • From: "Earl Pottinger" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "earl_colby_pottinger@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 06:40:16 +0000 (UTC)

For the NVIDIA check out http://development.pistooli.com/ and go to page 2,
there it talks about adding a setting files.  I don't know it it will help but
it will cost nothing to check it out.
As for the Intel video, I had a number of problem computers where the output
turns out to be 1920 by 1440 after a new Haiku OS was installed. I don't know
why and only one of my monitors (a syncmaster) would let me see video, but only
booted I would then select 1600 by 1200 and use it from there.  So I suggest
checking the VGA ports with different monitors to see if you have one that will
work and then let you set the video.

|   |
|   |  |   |   |   |   |   |
| JAVA and Haiku OS – ThinkFree wordprocessor September 14, 2014 by Pistooli·0
Comment Haiku OS openjdk JAVA appears to be working fine.  |
|  |
| View on development.pistooli... | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

     On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 3:28 PM, Augustin Cavalier
<waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 (Apologies for the previous empty message. My bad.)

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Peter Schuler <peters@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm trying to use the onboard video on our ASRock Fatal1ty motherboard with an
Intel Core i5-4440 (Haswell) processor. The integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600
is recognized by the intel_extreme driver, and everything works great on my
DVI-connected monitor. However, the VGA connection doesn't work at all--any
connected monitor reports that the signal is out of range.

I think that we only output to a single port on the video card, probably the
one that has an output connected. Try removing the DVI cable, plugging in the
VGA one, and rebooting.

This is my first time on a Haiku mailing list. I'm a programmer at iZ
Technology; Pete Goodeve has previously posted some questions here on our
behalf (thanks, Pete!) We're in the process of porting our RADAR digital
multi-track recorder from BeOS and Zeta to Haiku.

Cool! If you need anything more, just ask :) We're quite active on IRC too,
some dev will probably online nearly 24/7. (#haiku on chat.freenode.net).

We are currently using nVidia graphics cards, but the older ones which are
supported by the current nvidia driver are getting harder to come by. We need
to be able to connect both a VGA monitor (our internal touchscreen) and a DVI
monitor, with cloned displays running at user-selectable resolutions of
1024x600 and 1440x900.

The NVIDIA driver is an ancient dinosaur, it's a miracle it hasn't died yet.
The two drivers that work best right now are the Intel and Radeon ones, you
might want to consider switching to one of those brands. (However, since we
don't have hardware acceleration of any kind, you probably will be just fine
sticking with whatever integrated graphics your mobo came with.)

-Augustin