[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: Initialising the BVolume object for a BQuery

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 09:15:48 +0200

Hi,

On 2009-09-23 at 05:09:00 [+0200], Yashasvi A.C. <yashasviac@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 6:07 AM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >  I believe BQuery only finds attributes
> > that are being indexed on the volume in question, but I have not done
> > any work with BQuery yet, so I may be wrong.
>
> How do we go about indexing attributes to a specific volume/file path in
> this case? I will try using the query on attributes which are not indexed
> and get back to you about it, but I would like to know what the indexing
> process is needed for.

If I understand everything correctly, the BQuery object interfaces with the
BFS module in the kernel. The BFS module only performs queries on it's
indices. It does not iterate the filesystem and looks for matches, if I am
not mistaken. So you definitely need to create indices (use the mkindex
command line tool) for your attributes even before the files are created.

Best regards,
-Stephan