[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: Creating BMediaFile with meta data track

  • From: Dario Casalinuovo <b.vitruvio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev <haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 00:11:11 +0200

Point taken. But I got the impression that Dario was thinking of fairly
basic audio file formats.

Do any of these actually support 'tracks'
of that kind? Even though WAV, for instance, is RIFF, with theoretically
arbitrary chunks, it doesn't seem to have any provision for that in the
spec. (And I doubt any existing codec would support it.)

I was considering also AIFF. I have not mentioned that since the files are
limited to some max size and the undersampled version is just a fraction of
the total in pratice the first portion is always fixed size and not so big.
This basically solve all the problems since after the head you'll not have
to face out the growth of the first track frames overwriting the second
ones. Having those requirements i hope it's not so hard or expensive to
write a container allowing to do this, from what i have seen it should be
not so different than the current implementation using BFile, but i wanted
to avoid it for now. If it's not possible easily i'll just continue with
the raw implementation.

Regards,
Dario