[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: Crazy idea 32 Bit Haiku accessing more than 4GB of ram

  • From: "Earl Pottinger" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "earl_colby_pottinger@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 21:21:09 -0700

However, my follow-up messages clearly stated that Haiku's PAE worked perfectly
with my test programs.

But far far more important, Haiku-OS in Alpha stage is in many ways superior to
many other OSes Beta releases.

That is why I started to write test programs first, then ask questions after my
first test programs did not work.

I made an assumption about how Haiku's PAE and got burnt because of it.  Making
assumptions can be dangerous.

Anyway my base code works, lets see how far I can take it.

PS. Thanks for all the useful advice posted by you all.  I hope I can show you
something worthwhile soon.

On Sun, 7/27/14, Thomas Mueller <mueller6723@xxxxxxx> wrote:

 Subject: [haiku-3rdparty-dev] Crazy idea 32 Bit Haiku accessing more than 4GB
of ram
 To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 <mueller6723@xxxxxxx>
 wrote:
 > > FreeBSD and NetBSD i386 versions offer PAE as a
 kernel config option, but
 > > there are stability issues and drivers that can't
 be used in combination
 > > with PAE.

 > > I think it might be better to port Haiku to amd64,
 which I see is already in
 > > early stages.

 > Can I suggest you do a bit more research before
 spouting off replies
 > on the mailing lists? You seem to have quite a habit of
 doing this.
 > The whole reason this discussion came up is precisely
 because Haiku
 > already does support PAE.

 > > I don't know if FreeBSD or NetBSD i386 PAE code
 could be ported to Haiku but
 > > think Haiku amd64 would have better prospects and
 less limitations.

 > Haiku has been fully operational on x86-64 for some
 time now. It's
 > simply not the primary build since it can't run the
 existing base of
 > 32-bit applications at the moment.

 > Regards,

 > Rene

 I looked at the bottom of the page http://www.haiku-files.org
 and saw emphasis on "unsupported" for all versions except
 x86 gcc2 hybrid, and got the impression that amd64 support
 was at an early stage.

 Maybe more operational than the NetBSD-current amd64 that
 I'm now in?

 I saw no indication of PAE support on Haiku website, and
 Earl Pottinger's original post did not leave me with the
 impression that Haiku supported PAE.

 Tom