[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: Animating view size / position advice

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 13:33:47 +0200

On 01.09.2011 13:27, hey68 you wrote:
Thanks for the advice - I've found some old BeOS sample code ("Miszsa's
crazy apps - slidy window demo") using BMessageRunner and I'm trying to
play with the interval parameter.

I'm seeing that it doesn't make a difference how short I make the
interval parameter, if the number of pixels to resize by on each call to
resize is large, than the total time of the animation seems the same to
the eye regardless of the time interval.

The only way to speed up the total animation time is to make the resize
by steps larger (i.e. resize by more pixels at a time).

So - if I want to be able to control the overall animation time, I will
need to "jump" more distance on each resize call.

Yes, of course. There are two factors that control the speed of the animation: One is the delay between each message and the amount of movement per message. But if the time to process one message is larger than the delay between the messages, then the delay is irrelevant. However you can still achieve the overall animation time by "dropping frames", i.e. ignoring messages when they are processed too late. This keeps the overall animation duration constant, while the animation appears as smooth as the hardware allows.

Best regards,
-Stephan