[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: AI to HVIF

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 08:51:46 +0100

Am 19.03.2013 04:59, schrieb Pete Goodeve:
On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 07:34:33PM -0700, Pete Goodeve wrote:
The first puzzlerment/annoyance was that when I saved each revision,
the file's icon didn't update -- it stayed at the one it got when the SVG
was loaded.  Last time I used IOM I was able to attach corresponding
icons to my files, but I can't remember how -- must have just used xres
I guess.  Why it would get an icon when converting an SVG, but in no other
circumstances, I have no idea...

I explored some more, and found that what I thought I remembered
was actually correct!  If you (initially) save a *normal* icon file, it gets
an icon that matches its image.  The one I was working on didn't...!
If I do a "save As" into a new file, that one just has a generic icon
forever.  (The file I instead generated from Marcus' original behaves
as one would expect.)

For a while, I wasn't seeing the icon get updated when I saved an
edited image.  Now I do...  I-O-M definitely needs some love and
attention....

It's open source. Would you agree that I-O-M is a rather complex Haiku application by comparison? So there is a bug, apparently some conditions have to be met to trigger it, regarding the updating of the icon when saving a file. Maybe it's just me, since I wrote it, but somehow I feel your tone is bashing I-O-M since in some specific corner case it's awkward to use. How often do you think one is to run into the situation that one wants to delete tons of paths at once? Consider the regular (?) use-case of creating icons from scratch. You could obviously tell I knew how to create a multi-selection list-view. So maybe the fact that the path list-view only allows single selection has some reasoning behind it?

I fully admit one needs to know a few basic things about I-O-M before one can do any work with it. It's a list of maybe five things.

Best regards,
-Stephan