[hackpgh-ham] HF band antenna "kit"...

  • From: Doug Philips <douglas.philips@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-ham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 00:18:20 -0400

Ed and I mentioned this in the shop tonight, Tim asked me to send out
more info...

Ventenna makes a vertical antenna kit intended for portable use. It's
a "kit" because they give you a bunch of interchangeable segments with
different electrical properties. With their how-to-cheat-sheet you
assemble an antenna from the segments for whichever HF band/freq you
want, from 6m to 40m; an extra option means you can get 60m, 75m, and
80m.

It is multi-band, but switching bands means spending a few minutes of
reconfiguring the segments rather than flipping a switch and tweaking
an antenna tuner.

For those of you with ARRL subscriptions, you can go to their website
(http://www.arrl.org/members-only/Page/1857) and read a review of this
antenna. It's in the Sep 2002 issue of QST, the QRP Power column
titled "New Multiband HF Antenna" (page 82, so its a short review).

Even though the review is from 2002, the company still exists. Their
web site is a bit clunky:

    http://www.ventenna.com/HFp-V.html

--Doug