[hackpgh-ham] Re: General learning resources

  • From: Matt Stultz <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-ham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:17:05 -0400

Wow so Ed covered a lot of what I was just about to type but I will add a
few things.

As far as show off your radio goes, I have been carrying all of mine around
since last week and I'm sure it won't be hard to get other people to bring
theirs in again. I know Matt you said you would be in on Wednesday so if
anyone can bring in your radios we can have another show and tell then. If
you wanted a quick which radio I would suggest I would say the VX-6R or
VX-7R. If you look at the specs and have questions feel free to ask.

I also suggest if you have a radio to just listen to the repeaters a bit.
You will hear and start to get a feel for people who have good practices and
those that are questionably even legal. Like Ed said though it's a very
forgiving community for newbies.

In the past we have done some group get on the air events for people who had
recently received their licenses and wanted to transmit for the first time
but have some one help them out on what to do. For anyone who is around the
shop on Wednesday I would be more than happy (as I'm sure Ed and Doug would)
to show you guys the ropes and get you on the repeaters. If you can't make
it don't fret we can do it anytime anyone is in the shop.

Ed, Doug do you guys want to work with me and see if we can come up with a
more formal Talk for either this month or next on "I got my ticket now
what"? Maybe cover some of the fun things you can do with ham, some
etiquette, and why you should study for your general/extra now.

Matt